Re: [LUG] Spam. What Spam?

On Thursday 03 July 2003 12:26, Simon wrote:

> The mistake is to try and spoof, all you need do is catch and
> use the emails sent to bad addresses, so they look like they
> are active addresses, and thus remain in the spammers
> database.
> A) This is rather like painting a target on yourself and
> running across the frontline of a virtual battle field.

That is why, with respect and IMHO, it isn't a mistake to
spoof...  thus one produces responses from addresses that never
came to one.
But I agree with all remarks about the actual feasibility
computational and otherwise of doing the spoofing.

> B) I don't think that many spammers are using this technique,
Those who are using it gain a premium for the lists they
develope as a result of the conformations.  Attacking that
premium by corrupting those lists seems worthwhile if it can be
done at small cost to society.

> Which is why I try to slow them down in the search for open
> relays using spamd.

> Still it is worth a try where spammers use URLs with the
> recipients "email address" in unencrypted, we could
> acknowledge, and or fake these, with a spam trap account to
> see if it works. Who knows some might even be valid
> unsubscribe URL's.

Good show.  I think the answers to spam include a wide variety
of distributed tachniques each aimed at reducing the profit from
it, hence the thought that each piece is worth looking at.
--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/