Re: [LUG] Spam. What Spam?

On Wednesday 02 Jul 2003 3:05 pm, Pete Hatton wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Keith Abraham wrote:
> > Well I've been using Linux off and on since feb 2000
> > (continously for the 12mths) and I have only had
> > 3 (yes three!) unsolicited emails.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?

Something right. Probably by not advertising your email address on Usenet, on
websites or in email sigs (which later get archived).

> 3 Spam's in the last 3 years? Consider yourself lucky I think.  On average
> I get, about 2-5 a day, which are caught by the spam filters, and come
> through common addresses like hostmaster@xxxx

SpamAssassin traps between 50-180 every day on my older accounts (those that
haven't given up under the weight.) I keep an old account now as a spamtrap.

Newer accounts show about 20 spam emails a day.

> Maybe you could tell us what you have done to be so spam free! :)

1. Never enter your main email address in any webpage form on a commercial
site or 'adult' site.
2. Never sign up for newsletters from commercial sites with your main email
account.
3. Never give your main email address to companies when purchasing goods etc.
4. Never put your email address on any surveys or prize draws that arrive in
the junk snail mail.
5. Never REPLY to spam.
6. Never try to 'unsubscribe' using a link from a spam email.
7. Always turn off HTML viewing or at the very least loading of remote images
in email clients - the href="" sections contain unique log ID references that
can tell the spammer that the email has been read and that therefore the
account is live. You'll get a LOT more spam.
8. Leave your email address OUT of your email signature and just use a website
link. On the website, remove any href="mailto:"; links and replace with forms
so that the receiving email address isn't available to spiders or robots.
9. Don't use your main email address EVER in usenet
10. Don't use your main email address, basically anywhere that you do not
trust the website operator AND where you know that if the data is archived,
the email address will be hidden. (e.g. the DCLUG archives leave the userid
at the start of your address but replace everything after the @ with xxxxxx.)

> Pete Hatton
> E-mail:  pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Webpage: http://www.monolight.org