Re: [LUG] Comments?

On Tuesday 01 Jul 2003 1:24 am, Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > A distribution that can be freely copied onto more CD's for your friends
> > without legal threats.
>
> Not all Linux distributions are "free software", last I looked Debian is
> "pure", and Redhat only claim ownership of the Redhat logos. Others
> might take a dim view of rampant copying of their CD's.

If the ISO is on a public FTP site, how could they protest?

RedHat 7.2 was available on cover CD's on magazines, have they changed the
rules for 8 and 9? LinuxEmporium also send out massive numbers of CD copies.
The only 'common' distro that I've come across that doesn't like being given
away on freebie CD's is SuSE - they gave away a live demo version but I've
yet to see a full SuSE distro on a magazine cover disc.

I've taken that line out of the file for now, but I'm still bemused about how
public ISO images can be 'restricted'.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/