RE: [LUG] Open Source and EU patent law

>>most software doesn't have the same sort of consequences when it fails.
>
>Hmm... tell that to a space shuttle commander ?

I'd be more worried about air traffic control, or software controlling
ambulance routing.

None of these things are off-the-shelf shrinkwrapped programs though, they are
the product of pure, horrible, headache inducing, pain staking software
engineering. Failure in these systems can not be tollerated, so they cost much
more. They are completly different problems, sort of like building an aircraft
carrier vs. mass producing a row boat.