Re: [LUG] Setting up Fetchmail

From: Rick Timmis <rick@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] Setting up Fetchmail
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:16:14 +0100

> Now I have never use fetchmail or configured it so if this is all wrong
> forgive me
>
> >Can anyone help a beginner with setting up Fetchmail?
> >I have written a .fetchmailrc file as follows:
> >poll clara.net -- protocol pop3 --username xxxxxxxxxx password xxxxxxxxx
> >and placed the file in /home/peter.  Every time I try to use .fetchmail I
> >get the error message that "no mail servers have been specified".  I can
> >utilise fetchmail by typing the whole line at the command prompt, and
> >fetchmail then downloads the waiting Emails.
> >
> poll clara.net looks wrong I would think you need to poll something like
> mail.clara.net
>
> >1.  Have I put the file in the correct directory?
> >and
> >

> >2.  Have I failed to do something else that is essential for the running
> >of this process?
> >3.  Do I start the fetchmail process by typing "fetchmail" at the command
> >prompt, or is this too simplistic?
> >
> To startup a daemon you may well need something like this as root (i.e
> su -  su = sudo   - means use roots profile )
>
> service fetchmail start
>
> you should also try man fetchmail for further info..
>
> you could also try tldp.org
>
> HTH
>
> Rick
>
> >Any help greatly appreciated.
> >I am using Linux Suse 8.1
> >Peter James
> >please reply to: pfjames@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> >--
> >

> --

Just a small point ( have not used fetchmail in a while ) but
 your pop3 server is possibly more likely to be called eg
 mail.clara.net or something similar.  I suspect that it is
 unlikely to be called just clara.net -- a quick look on the
 clara net website might give you the information that you need

HTH

Francesco