Re: [LUG] Setting up Fetchmail

Now I have never use fetchmail or configured it so if this is all wrong forgive me

Can anyone help a beginner with setting up Fetchmail?
I have written a .fetchmailrc file as follows:
poll clara.net -- protocol pop3 --username xxxxxxxxxx password xxxxxxxxx
and placed the file in /home/peter.  Every time I try to use .fetchmail I
get the error message that "no mail servers have been specified".  I can
utilise fetchmail by typing the whole line at the command prompt, and
fetchmail then downloads the waiting Emails.

poll clara.net looks wrong I would think you need to poll something like mail.clara.net

1. Have I put the file in the correct directory?
and

2.  Have I failed to do something else that is essential for the running
of this process?
3.  Do I start the fetchmail process by typing "fetchmail" at the command
prompt, or is this too simplistic?

To startup a daemon you may well need something like this as root (i.e su - su = sudo - means use roots profile )

service fetchmail start

you should also try man fetchmail for further info..

you could also try tldp.org

HTH

Rick

Any help greatly appreciated.