Re: [LUG] AVI compression utility ? Rant: Why we do it - areminder

matthew.gibbons@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Probably a good place to start looking for AVI compression software under Linux
> is http://linuxmedialabs.com/linuxvideo.html. Also,
> http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+avi+compression yields about 9,380 hits.

Just too many hits and not enough content.

VirtualDub is I'm afraid a Windows program that I chose, it
is under the GPL, and seems to be a mainstay of the low
budget (and some high budget ones who find it useful)
Windows multimedia shops.

Manged to shrink my 13MB raw AVI to 1.3MB, or 94KB if you
drop the CD quality recording of the hiss my microphone
makes (and drop the quality a little, although the audio was
the biggest chunk, perhaps I should drop the record rate,
and buy a better microphone).

> Sorry to hear about your Windows debacle, although I am not surprised.

I wasn't surprised, just every so often I get this feeling
when I'm struggling to do something in Linux, that surely
Windows would be easier, which it sometimes is till it goes
wrong.

My recent experiences of Windows are leading me to the
conclusion the Linux is starting to exceed it in ease of
use, which leaves just Desktop integration, Multimedia, and
established Office Suite base where Windows has any sort of
an edge.