[LUG] OPENLDAP - btree - LDBM - How to upgrade a btree database ? (And amusing tail of Redhat upgrade).

Jun 18 12:13:55 linux1 slapd[23628]: ldbm: ==>
/home/abook/dn2id.dbb: btree version 6 requires a version
upgrade

The Story...

Okay - finally braved a Redhat Upgrade (6.1+bits and pieces
to 7.0) - with a nagging feeling that reinstalling Mandrake
from scratch was probably the decent and honourable course
of action.

Actually it was less painful than expected - but it is still
hurting a bit.

Forgot to exclude "xinetd" from the upgrade... bah...
Upgraded "inetd" - all it calls in the IMAPD and then it
uses TCP wrapper. Never had a one line inetd.conf file
before, think this kind of defeats the purpose of
inetd.conf, now if IMAPD was TCP Wrapper aware....

I've joined the ranks on OpenSSH bigots just a fortnight
after first installing "OpenSSH" and "rsync" I am deep
convert. Telnet must die, ftp must die (Guess ftp is okay
for anonymous file transfer till they get FREENET sorted a
bit better).

Forgot to remove sendmail from the upgrade - argh!!!!!!!!!

Decided reinstall Postfix was simplest way of overwriting
the disaster that is sendmail.

Got latest Postfix snapshot.
Postfix requires db3-devel on Redhat 7.0 (Documentation)
So I stuck db3-devel and it mopped about the libraries being
inconsistent.
Anyway grabbed a likely looking RPM labelled "db3-mumble.."
and stuck that on and Postfix was happy and started handling
mail.
Ran newaliases - all is well with dbm handling !?!

I think the RPM database is slightly corrupt ?! Seems to be
misbehaving a little, but if I bully rpm it adds and removes
files seemingly okay. Rebuilding the database made things no
different. Maybe it is confused by db1 db2 abd db3 rpm's all
alledgedly installed. NB: I have a db.h from db3-devel
rather than the gcc packages.

Fixed Perl that was now mopping about having replace
Perl5.61 with 5.6.0 and my Usenet moderation scripts were
not unhappy about the lack of Net::NNTP module. Perl 5.6.1
replaced itself (like a plonker I'd "rm -rf /root/.cpan"
before upgrade to get the requiste disk space - so
downloaded another megachunk of PERL - at least I get to see
Larry's wit and wisdom in the install scripts - "csh is a
link to tcsh - GOOD"). Checked newsgroup mail archive - only
SPAM was received between the upgrade and the fixing of PERL
- USENET moderation is a thankless task, but you get a
regular diet of low grade SPAM.

Oops buggered up the httpd.conf - didn't realise till I'd
safely unplugged the backup box and put it safely away.
Rewrote httpd.conf the hard way - web proxy, and Intranet
working. Fancy having to put the CGI ScriptAlias after the
AddModule.

AFAIK Everything is working EXCEPT.... OPENLDAP

OpenLDAP was mopping about an invalid argument - something
deeply programmatic - initialising a database. So presumably
my ldbm library was out of kilter with what was expected.

Rebuilt OPENLDAP with the current library - SLAPD starts
(One step forward two steps back).

ldapsearch -x (This reads the whole database on a good day)

/var/log/messages says (various messages like the one line
below), and complains that "setcache_size isn't appropriate
- I can handle "setcache_size" thats what the "d" key is for
in "vi".

"Jun 18 12:13:55 linux1 slapd[23628]: ldbm: ==>
/home/abook/dn2id.dbb: btree version 6 requires a version
upgrade"

Now I assume this is hinting that the database format is old
and stale and boring.
But for all I know it could be complaining that the ldbm
library has been downgraded.

	ANY HINTS ON HOW TO UPGRADE THE DATABASE?!

I think I built OpenLDAP with SASL enabled - not sure this
is a problem - I think OE and Netscape Messenger can do SASL
when talking to LDAP servers ?!

For what it is worth Netscape 4.76 is now stable (touch
wood) - Netscape runs Java without crashing!!!! I'd upgraded
from 4.61 to 4.76 to find I'd fixed my Netscape accessing
IMAP problem and Java problems, and Javascript problems, but
Netscape would crash with "BUS ERROR" apparently a GUI issue
when starting under some undefined circumstances (mainly
after working just once or twice, and showing me that it had
lots of useful fixes *8).

Now all Netscape complains about is that my LDAP seach is
not answering him.