Re: [LUG] K6/2 porting

I have long had a problem with RPMs, since they are built for a particular
architecture in mind.
I don't just mean the hardware, but the operating system structure as well. I
don't like the way
that I have to install X and Y just to install Z, and that RPM dependencies are
tied to particular
versions of other RPMs.

Just a gripe, and I may be wrong these days with RPM v3, but I left that all
behind a long time
ago...

I have, for the past 7 months, been working on building my own GNU/Linux
distribution. It started
off as a lowly installation, but now I have grander ideas of world domination,
et al.

The difference between my installation and an RPM based installation (or any
other managed
package system, for that matter) is that my packages are compiled *by* my
machine *for* my
machine. That's ALL packages. Not just the kernel. During build time, I can
optimise each
package for my processor. I can also select exactly what I want installed, down
to individual
binaries, if necessary.

Three reasons why I did this: For one, the difference in speed is noticeable.
For two, I know what
everything does, and why it is there. For three, I know how my system is
configured, from the
bottom up.

I must say I am very pleased with my installation. I works the way I want it,
and if I want to change,
add or take away, I can.

The base installation is derived from Linux From Scratch (LFS) (see
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org),
and I have added a number of additional packages, including XFree86 and KDE.

To be honest, installing a GNU/Linux system from sources is easier than it
sounds. A *lot* easier.
I would recommend anyone to have a go. All you need to understand is what the
following means:

     % ./configure && make && make install

And if you don't, you want to read at least two man pages!

I am currently working on building an installer that will assist a 3rd party (if
not myself!) in installing
and configuring GNU/Linux from source packages. I am also working out how to use
the same
approach to build a firewall (spurred on by Simon...) and could equally apply
the process to any
amount of target installations. Once I have sorted out the details, of course.
:-)

There is an automation project underway for LFS, called Automated LFS (ALFS). I
was hoping that
this would produce some fruit, but they seem to be missing the point in some
areas. The original
project seems to have been hijacked by one or two individuals,  who don't really
want to listen to
reason.

If anyone is interested in contributing, let me know...

Cheers,
Matthew

"Paul Sutton" <psutton@xxxxxxxxxxx> on 26/05/2001 22:09:06

Please respond to list@xxxxxxxxxxxx