Re: [LUG] Kernel 2.2.17 and ppp-watch - an update

Jon Still wrote:

> This is possibly something to do with the PPP compression modules (something
> like BSD-deflate rings a bell)...I know that in an older 2.2 kernel, I had to
> alias some modules in /etc/conf.modules to get it to work without complaining.

Thanks - pointed me in a promising direction....

I had ISDN as part of the kernel (one of many attempts to sort ISDN) and
PPP as a module.... wondering through the Makefile logic shows this
shouldn't happen. Both modules or both builtin - which by some
convoluted dependencies means they should all be modules (which is what
I started with, with a minor correction to a chat script - argh).

Oh and as pointed out in deja (I'm sure Jon knew) "alias char-major-108
ppp", kills the spurious error message.