Re: [LUG] Why HTTP transfer quicker than FTP?

On 11-Oct-00 at 13:45:07 Simon Waters wrote:
>> So why would an HTTP transfer be much faster than the old FTP? Whilst I
>> admit that both the FTP server and web server may not be running on the
>> same machine, there surely shouldn't be such a large difference in
>> transfer rates.
>
> Hmm - well details of protocols aside - do you have an http cache
> configured and not an ftp cache.... Maybe there is another Linux'er
> lurking on your cache.

Nope - no cache.

> Otherwise I think the possibilities are endless - from traffic shapers
> preferring http to ftp - to different boxes using dodgy NFS
> configurations at the far end.

I would tend to agree, but I've seen this several times with
transfers from different sites. If the 'trend' is for network devices to
prefer web transfers, then  obviously it would make sense to use them rather
than ftp. I guess it would be nice to see it from a single machine (i.e. one
that is running both the http and ftp servers) and from a reasonably known
site (i.e. where the network topology is known).

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk