[LUG] mounting

I decided to try and reinstall mandrake 7 as the supermount command is designed to auto mount filesystems.  I decided to opt for manual mounting, as this seems to me more useful as one of the things I like about Linux is the control I have over the system,  (incidentally setting up kppp dialup is real easy)

    Anyway onto yet another mounting problem

mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device.

I have check both mtab and fstab and there is no mention of my cd device which as far as I am aware what I would expect as it is not mounted.  How can I get my cdrw working,

Why is this happening,  Linux is meant to be getting easier to install, and this should not really happen especially as I installed from the cdrw in the first place.  I remember having cd problems back with 1.0.9 but that was expected,  RHL 5.2 - 6.1 work fine on this but 6.1 had other problems.

which used to work first time under earlier versions of Linux but this also failed. I guess it does not really matter what the mount point is called as long as it is a directory.

Lynx friendly