Re: [LUG] Office suites

Alex Charrett wrote:

> Does anyone use a *nix based office suite?
>
> If so, what are your opinions?
>
> -=-=-Alex Charrett-=-=-
> TermiSoc System Administrator
>               SMS: chas at termisoc.org subject:SMS
> Mail:   chas at termisoc.org               Web: http://www.termisoc.org/~chas/
>
> --

I was wondering this myself.

I have staroffice 5.1 installed and KOffice - which i think is still in
alpha.  I also use the standard Gnome office tools - gnumeric, gimp
etc...

StarOffice is good - but huge and slow.  This could be greatly imrpoved
if they released all the apps from each other instead of making the
whole office suite run as one app.  But, it is the best I've used when
it comes to handling Micro$not Office documents.

KOffice is looking good - although I still have reservations about the
whole KDE look and Feel.

The Gnome Office tools are looking good too.  Gnumeric is already pretty
good, and AbiWord is coming along nicely. The Gimp is brilliant of
course.  Dia is getting better too.

I have wondered about OffiX (which I know nothing about) and
Applixware.  Applixware is supposed to be great but again, I know
nothing about it.

RuS

 There's a feeling I get when I look to the West, and my spirit is
crying.
   __       __   email: rus at undertow.f9.co.uk
  |  |     /     www:   www.undertow.f9.co.uk/rusnet