Re: [LUG] help wanteed

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Alex Charrett wrote: (no it was Neil Stone!)

>      My Linux (RH6.0) is broke, whenever i connect to the internet and fire
>      up Netscape it goes dead.... I know it is only a 486-133 with 16MB RAM
>      but it worked fine before i moved it to my flat (STOKE) from
>      Plympton...

I know parts of Plymouth have DACS2 boxes on there telephone
lines.  Basically what the box does is get two lines onto one wire by
"shifting the frequencies".  Bottom line to this is modems dont like this,
as I found out when I was in Plymouth last year.  Only solution is to get
BT to put a single dedicated line in, and that takes a little fighting, as
I found out.

One way to tell is look at the connect speed.  If its around the 21,000
mark on a V90 modem, thent its possible you got one of these DACS2
boxes.  If its about its normal speed, then its something else.

>      It complains that it can't find ppp-compress.23 and other such stuff
>      in /var/log/messages

I've got these messages (or similar) as well, but I find my download
speeds normal.

Peter Hatton
E-mail:  bramley at termisoc.org
Webpage: http://www.termisoc.org/~bramley
PGP Fingerprint: 1558 65D7 C77E 5DB3 CD8E 70CF 56DF 2DBC 40DB 06EC