Re: [LUG] various proposals

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Alex Charrett wrote:
> Sounds good, although I would express a word of caution with the
> appraching of the Microsoft subject.  I class myself as a Linux advocated
> rather than a Linux bigot.  Microoft products (*imho*) do have a place in
> today's computing world, Exchange server and Office are 2 very good
> products and if you go out saying "Microsoft is Carp" people will dismiss
> you as a raving loony as many of them will use NT-WS/9x and it will server
> their purposes.

indeedy! I try not to be too bigoted about microsoft and indeed I find
Word has its strengths but usually they aren't that relevent to me (why
would I want to program a word processor? surely thats what awk, perl and
LaTeX are for? :)

> > I am working with Geoff Nicholas at the DPN (Digital Peninsula Network -
> > www.digitalpeninsula.com)
>
> Looks cool that does, a bit of local involvement never did anyone any
> harm.   Can guess what side of the Taymar youre bread is buttered :)

I'll take that as authorisation to start taking things further with them -
in particular linux certification and raising awareness of each other (ie
informing SOC students of DPN and similar projects while they raise
awareness of termisoc & the lug).

> As an interesting note, I was contacted by a member of staff of SuSE UK
> last week as I am Listed as the D&C LUG contact on lug.org.uk regarding
> Lug relations with SuSE.  The upshot of this was that was I went to their
> offices as theyre just up the road from where my Mum lives (and I was
> staying at the time) and was given a boxed set of SuSE 6.3.

oooh! I paid 29.99 for mine! bah! Its nice though - but avoid teh
graphical install like the plague - and don't overestimate your /opt -
mine has only 300mb used out of 1.5gb.

> I also suggested that they run a lecture/seminar on Linux technologies at
> the University (Of Plymouth) in association with D&C LUG and TermiSoc
> (University Computing Society).  They said that they thought this was a
> good plan but may not happen yet as its still early days for them as SuSE
> have only had a UK branch a matter of months.

That would be cool - thats why it would be good to link up with UKUUG as
they do that kind of thing more often.

rgds,
A.