Re: [LUG] forwarded

Lonehacker said:
> I recently tried to install star office for linux and was told I did not =
> have enough space on my /opt partition. I know I can use a symbolic link =
> to get round this I am unsure of the syntax.=20

um... you might have some problems because /opt is already a mount point
for a partition you _shouldn't_ be able to create a symbolic link to
somewhere else with that name.

if on the other hand /opt isn't a partition mount but just a plain old
directory on a small partition (which would be your /
(root) partition) then you could create a /usr/opt2 dir and move all of
what is currently in /opt to it before removing the /opt directory and
creating a symbolic link in the / directory.

The standard syntax for a symbolic link is
ln -s /directory/ /directory/being/pointed/to  IIRC.

> The book Running Linux 2nd edition describes symbolic links on page 91
>
> ln /opt /usr/opt

I think that should be ln -s rather than ls for symbolic link, ls only
makes a standard link but if you do it to a directory it might do a
symbolic link implicitly. doing it explicitly is a good idea tjo as some
unix's or shells or implementation of ln might not support implicit
symbolic linking.

> this would mean when I cd /opt it actually goes to /usr/opt

yup

> is this correct?

yup

of course YMMV..