[LUG] More on Address Books and OpenLDAP

Hi,

you may remember me moving my address book to LDAP earlier
in the year.

Well finally needed to make it easier to update, so I
downloaded the ldap-abook tool.

This adds a simple web based search and modify section to
the address book, updating the Openldap backend.

Have to say that the install was non-trivial - my "perl
-MCPAN -e shell" attempts to install relevant modules took
hours as it decided among other things that I needed a later
version of Perl, and that the Perl address book modules
wasn't going to install this way anyway.

After installation I discovered that the web interface was
more choosy about the purity of the data in my database than
Netscape of Outlook Express, so I cleaned up a few entries
that were causing trouble.

The software is still described as 'in development', but
whilst it was fiddly to install it is quite simple to use,
if under documented.

What are others doing to maintain company address books, or
has everyone gone Exchange these days *8-)

	Simon