Re: [LUG] Mandrake 8.0 - Quick overview

Hi,

I wise to confirm the brilliance of Mandrake 8. It has the latest stable releases of every project.

The only warning is if you try using the new 2.4 kernel distros with a laptop, as will
have a few problems with Suspend - To - Disk. But every problem is solveable :-)

Has anyone compared Mandrake 8 with Redhat 7.1 ? As they appear to be similar style/age distro.

Regards,

Bill.

> Just installed Mandrake 8.0, and my first impressions of it, are, its
> great!
>
> The Penguins are even happier, smile even more....ok ok.
>
> Mandrake 7.2 was great, the install process was one of the simplest around.
> Mandrake have improved it even more, to make this probably one of the
> easiest installs ever - though I've not seen Redhat 7.1 install in action
> yet.
>
> It comes with Kernel 2.4.3, though I did see Kernel 2.2.19 on the CD as
> well - not sure how you install it, it may be as simple as rpm -i
>
> Also you only need the 1st CD to do a good install, and the 2nd CD is full
> of extras ranging from MySQL to Pingus (A Lemmings clone)  The 2nd CD is
> worth getting IMHO.
>
> KDE 2.0 on Mandrake 7.2 tended to crash a bit, as this has KDE 2.1 it seems
> rock solid, and looks even more gorgeous.
EMAIL CLIENTS!!!!
Kmail is still brilliantly simple.
Evolution and Magellan are so almost there, but have a little way to go. Evolution
Seg Faults too often.