Re: [LUG] some questions

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:49:11 +0100
"raven" <raven at corvid.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Ok. I'm not even a Linux newbie, I'm still using win98, but I am very interested in the idea of a stable operating system, one crash too many has convinced me of the need for something better.

 <snip>
> I've seen claims that linux is safe from viruses and also warnings about a worm doing the rounds, what is the situation on this, just how secure is linux?
> Is it safe, or safer, from hacking or other attacks? I know that it is similar to Unix which can be vunerable to such attacks.

Hello Raven,

One major difference between linux sytems and windoze is that of users/groups and their permissions and restrictions.

On a standalone machine like a desktop pc even when it is used by only
one person you would have 2 users: root and a normal user.

root has access to everything and can destroy at will.
A normal user cannot read/write to key system files.

On windoze every user is root.

For your normal day to day activities you would log-in as the normal
user; When you use the internet the key system files would be safe.
Of course, you need to configure a firewall, and once you do this
you're pretty much set. Just keep an eye on security updates and patches
for your OS and programs, and keep reading the documentation.

hope this is of some interest.

bye

Paul