[LUG] Ignore Previous Burbling - Brief look at SUSE Professional 7.1 - LDE relevant(ish)

Just installed SUSE 7.1 Professional

Thought I'd better before the Install Fest.

Found bug I mentioned earlier today is fixed in KDE 2.

Typical nice Linux install - graphical install worked.

Packages are groups into Mega-Bundles which whilst simple to choose,
swallow up disk space pretty quickly, but you can dive under the simple
interface and just select the individual packages you need (In my case
"Wireless tools").

Lots of CD's with lots of extra software, some of it commercial, some
demos of commercial, most of it free.

Included KDE 2, 2.4 Kernel (Option), Reiser filesystem, so lots of
newish stuff.

I still ended up tweaking XF86Config by hand to get the resolution
right, and I swapped pcmcia and network in start-up, and had to make
some inspired guess work to figure out how it was deciding which network
cards to start when and how.

Default kernel didn't need rebuilding for my Laptop (First Distro ever)
although some of the multimedia stuff is not 100%.

KDE2 seems a bit slow - or is that my Reiser filesystem?! Seems to be a
lot of processes lurking when running KDE2.

Why does everyone else swear by YAST? I was swearing at it, and sax2,
okay my patiences with GUI is fairly limited these days, but it really
didn't seem to understand laptops at all. HP's SAM doesn't make me swear
as much. Too many config files say things like don't edit else sax/yast
or friends will eat your changes for my liking - GUIs that undo your
setting in difficult to determine ways - not the Linux way IMHO.

My first glance at Koffice - my first attempt to export html failed
miserably - sorry guys go Star Office if you don't want to pay for a
Word Processor. Does ThinkFree run on Linux properly yet?

Overall SUSE 7.1 well worth £40 to get the whole boxed set if your going
Linux or thinking of it - which is what it was selling for in Staples in
Exeter (Staples have loads of Linux distro's in stock, even if some are
a bit old - they have marked down the old ones).

Must make mental note to kick Staples as a possible sponsor....

	Simon
--
Want to learn about Linux? Get it installed?
Devon and Cornwall LUG Event for UK Linux Day