[LUG] user runlevel services - is there a help file on configuration

I am trying to speed up my system and there does not seem to be a readme file to tell people what the different services are and what they do.   I would like to have a go at writing one but before I do does anyone know of a similar document?
As this would save me having to do one myself and save confusion of having a similar document on the LDP and internet,
    Under mandrake the program to configure system runlevels is tksysv.
I will keep looking through my RHL 7 documentation cdrom,
Lynx friendly