Re: [LUG] PDF = Pretty Dodgy Format?

on the subject of PDF, i thought i would share my fun with that format
today.

been trying to print out a gnus refcard to decorate my boring toilet at
home from http://www.ndh.net/home/natter/gnus-refcard.pdf. unfortunatly i
can only get it to print with the right of the page shaved off.

if someone can point me to a .ps version of the file which prints well i
would be grateful. or maybe i should give up on gnus as a newsreader... i
dunno.

-Kai
p.s. it's my first post here so i'll say something about myself. family
live in cardinham nr. bodmin. i study  at  helsinki. i would gladly help in
that install fest, but unfortunatly i will only be home for the easter
w/e.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Simon Waters wrote:

> One supplier (BAAN) are dead keen on encrypted PDF files.
>
> xPDF (version I have doesn't do encrypted).
> Acrobat3 acroread makes a mess of them and often crashes.
> Acrobat4 acroread makes a mess of then and always crashes.
>
> One of only four uses I've found for Windows is reading 'portable(?)
> document format' 8-)
>
> Despite my suggestions, BAAN doesn't look like it will abandon it
> preferred file formats - self extracting Word EXE files (Ironically
> these read fine with zip and StarOffice, but without the virus risks
> associated) and encrypted PDF - in favour of HTML (Which would be a lot
> easier for Windows users as well as they are all on the web site, and of
> course would be smaller than Word (and probably PDF). Perhaps if I
> showed them how good StarOffice was at exporting them to HTML....
>
> But no realistically I will have to read the critters till the client
> realises what a steaming pile... or Invensys go bust (Have you seen the
> share price recently - this might not be too far off)?
>
> So should I persist with trying to get Acrobat4 working, or what viewer
> should I try?
>
> 	Simon
>
> PS: Tried 'Update Virus Checker' on my new Laptop (Win98 bundled) - OH
> DEAR - yet another virus checker vendor whose update utilities don't
> work smoothly - despite Acer's comments in the manual about
> non-Microsoft operating systems I can see this one coming to the Install
> Fest --- If I can wait that long - unlikely.
>
> PPS: I have not found one vendor whose anti-virus updates for Windows
> work smoothly to the point where you could let an MD update his own
> laptop. Computer Associates did last three updates.... so their free
> virus checker wins my 'if you must run Windows award'...
>
> PPS: Sorry about the burble but it's been a frustrating week.
> --

Mobile: +358408367733