RE: [LUG] Kernel 2.4.0

On 05-Jan-01 at 14:56:14 Alex Charrett wrote:
>> I'll see if I can investigate this a bit further, unless
>> anyone has any obvious ideas? Wonder if some of the utils (pci_utils?)
>> needs upgrading? The PC currently runs RedHat7.
>
> Isn't RedHat 7 meant to be 2.4 ready?

I'd say yes, but what does it mean? As far as I can tell there is a
/boot/kernel.h-2.4.0 file but that is about all. However, you did remind me
that the RH7 CD's came with a test version of 2.4.0 on it. Although that
didn't work on the PC there was a file which mentioned what was required for
2.4.0. I'll see if I can find it.

I have looked at the LinuxHQ site and found nothing really - all the rpms
I have are up todate except one (linux-utils) which deals with the disks (I
think). I found some 2.4.0 kernel rpoms from the RedHat rawhide site, so I
may try them, however they tend to overwrite everything that already exists
(I remove the previous kernel), and if it won't boot then I'm buggered :-(

Alternatively is to write down the OOPS and feed it into ksymoops to see
what it says, and send it off as a bug report.

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk