Re: [LUG] konqu ..err and lug site

On Saturday 25 November 2000 17:54, you wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Tony Atkin wrote:
> > So I just looked into the lug site to check out Alex's shell usage
> > tutorial only to be faced with white text on a white background.  It
> > seems that konqueror (the kde2 browser) has finally come up against some
> > html it can't cope with.  Oh well.. maybe in version 2.1....
>
> Is it just that page or the whole site?

On the index page it affects all plain text but the links remain visible. On
the mission statement page, the first sentence is visible in black, the
others are not.

And this is the problem:

The font tags on the page are not nested correctly - the font tag is opened
but not closed within the tag immediately above it in the nest - compare this
with XML. (More on the codehelp site - XML).

Welcome to the Devon and Cornwall Linux Users Group, or D&C LUG, or that lot
down in the South West. Join the mailing list to get involved. Even help
organise events or write submissions for the site.
</TD>

The font tag is opened within the TD and therefore must be closed within the
TD and re-opened in the next TD. The only reason it works in other browsers
is because they are not following the SGML 100% correctly. Konqueror is being
a little more strict.

The result is that the FONT tag is forced to close by the browser, which then
reverts to the default - white in this case. The solution is to close the
font tag and reopen a new one or use CSS.

How does the page display in Opera? That's known as a strict browser, it
adheres only to the HTML standards of W3C and won't accept slight errors.

Netscape used to be this strict but although it is less 'tolerant' than IE,
it is still not 100% accurate to the HTML standards.

The code may be better using CSS to render the font colours.

--

Neil Williams
linux at codehelp.co.uk
linux at neilw2.eurobell.co.uk