RE: [LUG] Broken Links

On 22-Nov-00 at 14:46:28 Alex Charrett wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Simon Waters wrote:
>
> I tried to make a contribution to the METAR.pm module some weeks back
> after adding a load of code to it to improve it, but never heard anything
> back from the maintainer.
>
> Has anyone else successfully (or not) contributed to projects?

If you mean to cpan modules, the no. If you mean to other Linux projects then
yes. Nothing major, just minor bug fixes, tidying things up, documentation
etc. I find that there is an aesthetic pleasant feeling in being able to
help with something to make it a 'better' product which everyone can then
use :-) Obviously there is no money in it (!) and little 'world' recognition,
but you usually get a thanks from the project maintainer and perhaps from
those who benefit from the patch, fix or whatever. I find it is also nice
because although they may be 'minor' additions that I submit, they are
usually received as gladly as any large code fix from a C/C++ expert who has
fixed a ghastly bug :-)

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk