Re: [LUG] poorly Debian box

On Saturday 23 October 2004 10:06 pm, Adrian Midgley wrote:
THis was all going wonderfully, when it decided to (apt-get) upgrade glibc

That should have been:
# apt-get install glibc
apt-get upgrade glibc just runs a normal update (of all packages).

Thereagain, you already had glibc so I'm not sure what you were trying to
achieve.

Failed during the process

what was the error?

, and now falls over when it has prepared the
dependency tree.

You'll need to remove the existing package lists but only after you sort this
out:

I had a guddle around with a copy of Knoppix and tried moving the various
libraries to where they said they should live

??? Why?

, but still v flaky

No wonder if you start moving libraries to Knoppix locations.

Have you kept any notes about where they should be moved back to?

and can't
run apt-get

What error?

Where should I look next?

See if apt-cache is working.
$ apt-cache search gnucash

Look for problems in
/var/cache/apt/

Check the permissions on
pkgcache.bin
srcpkgcache.bin

Should be -rw-r--r--  1 root root

Remove the package lists if this could be causing apt-get to stall.

# apt-get update

# apt-get clean

If apt-get still isn't working, use a CD obtain it and install with dpkg.

If that fails, you may have the dubious honour of being the first person I
know who needed to reinstall Debian.
:-(

Ah, well, at least it makes up for all those times I had to reinstall
Mandrake, RH, SuSE, Yoper, Slackware . . . .

--

Neil Williams