RE: [LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 13:28, Martin Howitt wrote:

Take games for example. There are plenty of (relatively small) GPL games out
there, but to bring this conversation back to where we started, there are
AFAIK no GPL games on the scale of Doom, because the resources and
management required to bring a game of that level of complexity out cost a
lot of money which couldn't be recouped if a GPL licence was used.

Actually, Doom's source code and Quake's source code, are released under
the GPL now. Quakeforge is an example of a game that has been released
since, based on the GPL sources :)

(I hope to be corrected of course, if anyone has an example I'll be the
first to head to the ftp mirrors!)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/quake/

matt