Re: [LUG] Free software and users

On Sunday 10 October 2004 7:10 pm, Dave Trudgian wrote:
There is no justification for hiding source code -
read that again: NONE. All source code is for sharing.

I also disagree on this. Why? Because it's the way the world works (be
that good or evil). I have been paid for writing code that will not be
seen by the public.

Being paid to write code does not mean the code has to be hidden. e.g. Novell,
RedHat, Mandrake.

I could not have been paid to write that code as
open source.

Simply untrue. Lots of people are paid to produce free software.

Yeah, if things changed enormously it would be possible.

That change has already happened. Payment for support is an accepted method of
paying for developers, it works. Donations and sponsorship also work, e.g.
Debian.

I'm not prepared, nor are enough people, to go through the economic pain
that would be a precursor to economic viability of sharing all code.

Also untrue. You are falling for the lies of the proprietary software houses.
I can loan you 'Free Software for a Free Society' if you like, it
comprehensively demolishes all your arguments against sharing ALL code.
However, you can always read the contents direct from the FSF site if you
prefer. I bought the book to make a contribution to the FSF and GNU Press,
not because I couldn't read the content any other way.

me the fact that people can earn a living by not sharing their code is
justificiation enough for not sharing it.

?? So because people pay to talk you are now going to charge those who listen
to you???

This does not mean that I do
not applaud those who share, and those who help people who share to make
a living.

1. Code is speech, it is not owned or the property of anyone.
2. It costs nothing to duplicate code so there is no justification in charging
for copies.
3. Economic loss only occurs if those who have the software would otherwise
have paid for it rather than solving the problem another way. Copying harms
no-one because most people would not have paid for it.
4. Authors have no special connection with their programs, beyond the
requirements of copyright that their contribution be acknowledged. Is the
author more important than anyone else? The public have rights too and the
law is clearly on the side of the public:
5. Copyright is there to protect the PUBLIC, not the author - it says that
copyright MUST be temporary. The purpose, in law, of copyright is to promote
progress and understanding, NOT to protect authors. Believing that authors
have any natural rights over their creation is to twist the law beyond
breaking point.
6. The quality of the software is not dependent on the amount of funding.

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/why-free.html

Software is NOT a physical object and cannot be compared using mechanisms that
are based on trade or materials.

When you eat a sandwich, no-one else is able to re-eat it - it's gone.
If someone else eats your sandwich, that hurts you directly - to the same
extent as it benefits the other person.

When I change a program, anyone is free to use either version.
If you copy that program to someone else, it doesn't affect me in the
slightest.
If you take a copy of that program, it remains available for more copies - it
is not changed by the act of copying, nor reduced.

"As a computer user today, you may find yourself using a proprietary program.
If your friend asks to make a copy, it would be wrong to refuse. Cooperation
is more important than copyright. But underground, closet cooperation does
not make for a good society. A person should aspire to live an upright life
openly with pride, and this means saying ``No'' to proprietary software.

You deserve to be able to cooperate openly and freely with other people who
use software. You deserve to be able to learn how the software works, and to
teach your students with it. You deserve to be able to hire your favourite
programmer to fix it when it breaks.

You deserve free software."
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/why-free.html

--