Re: [LUG] Re: today's meets and some observations etc.

On Monday 27 September 2004 3:10, Sadie Brinham wrote:

I personally have boycotted Asus products.These days,I buy PCs without
operating systems installed,having made it a condition of purchase that all
hardware must be wholly GNU/Linux compliant.

even that isn't always enough, especially if buying on a budget, a notable
problem here is cheapo mobos, because windows likes to free ram and load the
swap, but linux likes to free swap and load ram (faster) the duty cycle of
components like northbridge is much higher, and cheapo mobos tend to have 25
cent fan less heatsinks passively cooling these chips, which isn't always
enough..... of course you and I might be happy hot glueing a 40 x 40 x 10 fan
on, but you can't do that for a punter.

aamof the last dozen or so builds have all been for linux only, and the
windows build before that was dual boot, having said that the job that came
in today is a windows box.