Re: [LUG] When free software loses its way

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 20:15, Tom Brough wrote:

I am extra annoyed as i contributed some very useful parts to this
software

That will learn me not to specificly put GPL headers on the top of my
contributed source code!

IANAL and this is not legal advice and if it is don't follow it, BUT, as I
understand it when you write code it is copyright regardless of anything you
do or don't add to the source.

You can assign the copyright to someone else, or explicitly place it in the
public domain - without restrictions on use including someone declaring it to
be their own - by making a specific action of doing so, and you can of course
licence it under any conditions you like, one of which would be the GPL.

If you have not assigned the copyright, then nobody has _any_ right to use
your contributions or anything that includes them.
Reasonably enough, if you sent them in then the recipient would expect to be
able to use them in the conditions then extant, but that does not I think
make it an unlimited licence.

You could ask for recompense for your code, or insist it is removed, whether
you then distribute it yourself under a suitable licence is up to you.

If there are many people in a similar position, the cost to the company of
closing the code might be greater than that of opening it properly under an
OSS licence.  Probably they won't regard it as such though.

--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/