Re: [LUG] ident: IRC and Linux

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 00:12, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I currently have ident and pident running on my laptop so that when I
log into IRC it identifies me properly.  It's not working.  Port 113 is
mapped through the router to the laptop (I haven't been a pillock and
mapped the wrong port have I? :))  Every time I log in there is a ~in
front of my address and I get the usual ident failed messages.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

BTW I'm using X-Chat, not a bad client but if anyone has any better
suggestions for that please? :)

OK, which distro are you using ?? I have experianced problems in the past like
this when using any combination of the following

ident not running
ident firewalled
ident not running on specified device (eth0)
ident replying with encryption

to check out most of the above try....

ps -aux | grep ident

netstat -napt | grep ident

should point you in the right direction...

Neil