Re: [LUG] Hostname woes

Sorry about the double post.  Hiccup on my part!

Anyway,

man hostname says:

The host name is usually set once at system startup in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 or /etc/init.d/boot (normally by reading the contents
of a file which contains the host name, e.g. /etc/hostname).

Neither file exists on my system, so I skipped to:

The FQDN
...... Therefore it depends on the configuration (usually in
/etc/host.conf) how you can change it. Usually (if the hosts file is
parsed before DNS or NIS) you can change it in /etc/hosts.

/etc/host.conf says:
order hosts,bind
multi on

So I went to /etc/hosts and entered:

127.0.0.1 natalie.tartarus natalie

where it was previously 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Rebooted.  The hostname *still* says "localhost".

So according to /etc/host.conf it is checking the /etc/hosts file for
the hostname.  The /etc/hosts file does *not* say the hostname is
"localhost", it says it's natalie but the PC insists on setting it as
localhost.

Now I'm lost.

Kind regards,

Julian

PS In case you're wondering why a guy from South Wales is still on the
DCLUG after a year, it's simple.  I'm ashamed to say the SWLUG are very
partisan and won't answer questions from anyone who does not regularly
attend their meetings.