Re: [LUG] Debian stable desktop not so stable

Simon Waters wrote:
When I hit "ctrl-alt-F1" to get a text screen, sometimes the desktop
(KDE) takes a nose dive on my new PC.

What is the video card, what resolution is it running at? Both in X and in text mode...

This is obviously very frustrating, both because I lose KDE, and second
when KDE restarts it drags me back to the GUI login.

A handful of errors in .xsession-errors (not very useful errors) is all
I've found so far.

I may whip it up to unstable - as stable seems rather "old" having been
at unstable oin the laptop for ages......

Both unstable and testing load the frame buffer device by default. You could try putting "vga16fb" in your /etc/modules.

But has anyone seen this, and more importantly what is the best term to
google for regarding switching to a text only console? As I dare say
others have seen it before, but getting away from other Xfree86 problems
is proving fun.

I've seen this and the X server randomly dieing a few times. The solution I used was to use a different video card. Not really an option
with a laptop. If it uses shared memory you could try adjusting the
memory size in the BIOS.