Re: [LUG] Selective IMAP sent-mail

Neil Williams wrote:
What's the best way to solve this?

1. I'm on many mailing lists and post regularly
2. I use a variety of clients and machines to read and post
3. I use IMAP to read email but, currently, sent-mail gets left on each
client/box.
4. I don't want mailing list posts to be stored on the IMAP sent-mail as I'll
get those anyway
5. I would like non-mailing list sent-mail to be stored on IMAP so that I have
a complete archive and I can follow off-list conversations more easily.

Should IMAP allow sent messages to be stored on the server by default or is
there a config change required for that kind of access? (I can delete
messages OK), (If yes, it's just a client problem and I can work on that.)

Just tell the MUA you want sent mails stored in a folder on the IMAP server.

Is there a way of preventing list messages being stored along with other sent
mail? Is that a server config or a client config?

Not a server side way - IMAP ain't that smart - some mail clients would
let you.

Unless you are amazingly prolific (or long lived) your entire mailing
list posts will only be a few 10's of MB per lifetime - why sweat the
small stuff. Or are these mailing lists that allowmulimedia attachments?

Besides one day it'll bounce with an incomplete copy of the message and
your contribution will be lost to the world.

I'm using the default IMAP in Debian stable - can't figure out which one or
which version at the moment. (?) courier-imap and cyrus-imapd are not
installed - is exim providing the IMAP daemon??

The University of Washington IMAP server is very reticent about
identifying itself. Find out what deb and "apt-cache show" or read
/usr/share/doc/imap<mumbe>/*