Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni Portal, Student Access & Wreaking Linux...

Terence McCarthy wrote:

(BTW did you check, using fdisk, what partitions were on the drive
before you installed Linux? I've just repartitioned a company laptop
-to give me room for Linux, -and found two unexplained non-Dos
partitions before the the manufacturer installed Windows partition.
RM, IIRC, used to do similarly).

It is pretty common these days - DELL (and I think HP and Compaq when
they were seperate) use to ship servers with a diagnostic partition.

Press reset once to reset, or twice to find out why you needed to press
reset, on the DELL's it was.

I suspect John is a *nix expert, these days very few people (Alan Cox?)
can possibly be familiar with more than a few percent of available
applications, and API's etc. Most you can hope for is the ability to
read the correct manual page 9 times out of 10.

I suggest we all play stupid from now on, anyone asks us an MS Windows
question we should reply with "What is XP?" / "What is Windows?" / "I've
got a Knoppix CD here if that is any use to you" / "You mean they don't
bundle the source code with it - how do you expect me to fix it for you
then?" / "Where is the debugger?" / "Reboot" / "Reformat" / "Reinstall"
/ "RTFM" / "Have you tried Google?" / "It is in the MS Knowledge base".

Indeed perhaps someone could do a quick utility to save us the effort of
choosing one of the above, if it could parse and reply to incoming
emails as well that would be a bonus.