[LUG] Play DVD over network

I've been trying to get a DVD movie to play over my network using vlc with no success. It seems to be reading the DVD but I can't get the client to pick up the stream :-(

I tried exporting the DVD drive over NFS, but (as I expected) it didn't work. I presume that is because DVD-player programs require block-level access?

On this basis, I suppose one alternative would be to use nbdd to export the block device over the network. Would this work? Does anybody happen to know if it supports authentication? My Googling has been largely fruitless :-(

Cheers,

Jon