Re: [LUG] Bandwidth monitoring

Jon Lawrence wrote:

Take a look at www.star-os.com
It's not open source, but it is bloody good. Drivers are fantastic. We use this exclusively on our commercial systems, and it does work.

The only trouble is that I also use that machine as a network server. I don't have (or want) another PC running 24/7.

As for just beating someone up - if they're any good you won't find 'em. In range can be a pretty long way with the right kit.
I can easily pick up signals from bog standard AP's over 1/2 mile away. By the time you found me if you did, your email system would already be blacklisted :)

And I'm talking about sticking a 14dBi directional aerial on it; so it'll be interesting to see how far it goes! Plus of course, I might not actually be sitting in front of my PC watching my connection stats 24 hours a day (you know, I plan to "get a life" one day). Spam is the only thing that bothers me... but OTOH, as Simon rightly points out, if the ISP kicked off every user who became infected with an Outlook virus, they'd lose a good proportion of their customer base. It's more the moral objection...

Wireless is great fun to play with, and being able to bugger of to the park with the laptop and a few tins of beer in the summer takes some beating - but you do need security. After all you're liable for what happens with your connection.

Yup... Without wireless, it's tempting to just bugger off to the park without the laptop, but then I don't get *any* work done. I'm gonna see if I can persuade my boss to let me work "at home" occassionally... 8-)

Cheers,

Jon