Re: [LUG] Cheap PCMCIA Wireless LAN

What's the range like?  Does it have a connector for an external antenna?

I wouldn't mind having a muck about with this, it's got to the price
point where even miserly people like myself can justify buying one on
novelty value alone :-)  What's linux auto-network-detection like at
present?  Not up to MacOS X standards, I presume?

Network detection is in my optinion pretty near perfect - never once had a
problem finding a network I can connect to (if I new it was there).
kismet is as far as I can see the best network scanner there is - the
proprietry might be better but I'm not paying £2K to find out.

Whether it's worth the hastle to you depends upon what you see yourself using
wireless for - me I work from home, being able to take the laptop in the
garden on a nice summers day is great also using it sat on the couch beats
going up stairs to the office. I take either my laptop or my PDA everywhere
with me and I can pretty much guarentee being able to find a connection if I
absolutely have to - be it a public hotspot or something else (gprs or
whatever ;) ).

Wireless is no longer a novelty - for people who rely on internet
communication - it's a must have.

Just my 2p's worth

Jon