Re: [LUG] In need of some Sun stuff in Plymouth

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 03:20, Daniel Palmer wrote:

on a side note : I found out while sitting in a practical session today
that Plymouth Uni chucked away a bunch of SparcStations not long ago,
even worse they just binned some 20" sun monitors.. Gutted :(.

I would be surprised with this. We are not allowed to just throw away
equipment - I know I run the central Sun systems and have several old
boxes sitting around doing nothing. (We also have some sbus network
cards not being used but could not let the original poster have them.)

The Uni now requires 'accounting' of what happens to the systems. The
last lot that was 'removed' (old PC's) went to a company which
refurbishes them. The disks have to be 'scrubbed' beforehand though. The
metals contained in the systems also have to be 'handled' and not just
dumped into the environment. Since we own the systems we have to account
for their disposal - hence old equipment is not dumped (in skips) and
not usually just sold on, it is traded-in with other companies.

I have just sent back to the Uni of Kent a small sparc classic which has
been used to monitor the UKERNA network here since about 1993. (The
system has never failed I might add!) We could not simply dump it,
although it was quite useless to us (we have our own sparc classics to
dispose of!), because the Uni of Kent have to 'account' for its
ddisposal. As such we had to box it up and send it back to Kent for them
to dispose of it.

John.