Re: [LUG] Debian- Configuring Sound

On Sunday 01 Feb 2004 10:43 am, Mike Chidley wrote:
Hi,

I`ve installed Debian Woody on a spare partition, I`ve got everything
working except for the sound.

How do I configure my sound hardware?

The manual way:
from your RedHat install, find out which modules your sound card is using and
use modprobe on Debian. Then watch the boot process and make sure alsa is
starting OK. Watch for a /dev/dsp warning box on X startup - you might need
to change the permissions on /dev/dsp.

I used to  use `sndconfig` on my RedHat system, is there a similar
program for Debian?

The apt way:
calvin:/home/neil# apt-cache search sndconfig
sndconfig - Easy soundcard configuration
# apt-get install sndconfig

You can find out about any package using apt-cache search - use partial names
too.

--

Neil Williams