Re: [LUG] Introduction

Anton Channing wrote:

I currently work in Norwich as a programmer (using,
boo hiss, M$ stuff, like c# and asp.net) but plan to
return to Plymouth (where all my family live, and where
I grew up) at some point in 2004 (hense I am on this
list and not ALUG)

Being from Thorpe St Andrew originally, I have to regard moving from
Norwich to Plymouth as a suspect plan. You must miss your family a lot ;)

We aren't worried about geography, but ALUG does have Mark doing lots of
work arranging meetings in Norwich and elsewhere, be a pity not to take
advantage of the opportunities presented. I fear we don't have anyone
prepared to dedicate quite so much effort as Mark, although we are
grateful for those that try.

I'm sure if
I did it properly, we would all be able to see our email
regardless of what pc we are on, instead of there being
one machine that has it on.

Yeap - works here using UW IMAP nicely. Although some mail clients are
easier to configure with IMAP than others.

Have
been thinking of trying out Mozilla's mail client, but
am not really sure that it will be better?

Mozilla has better IMAP (and LDAP support to make the address book
follow you around the network as well as your emai) support but
otherwise I don't think there is much to choose between them.

GnuPG support is easier to set up in Mozilla, Kmail will overtake it
when Werner and friends have the Aegypten project in a more stable state.

FTP: Use command line for this.  A bit primitive perhaps,
compared to some of the GUI ones I've use in windoze,
but effective.  And reminds me of when I first learned ftp
at uni, which was also command line.

The command line is pretty good especially if it has support for
readline, you get very clear error messages when things go wrong - which
they sometimes do.

Last ftp I did, I did with KDE3 and Konqueror, I clicked a link that
opened up the ftp site as a window, and just lasso'ed the files I wanted
and dragged and dropped. I know very GUI based, but the windows were
already open. It was noticably slow on administrative data but since it
was 70 odd big files, so command line restarts and the like woud have
been tiresome.

But then I prefer Konqueror as a browser, and Mozilla as a mail client,
so I'm kind of the exact opposite of you applicationwise. Although I'm
becoming a Kmail convert slowly, the thing is Kmail is doing a lot of
growing up at the moment, so whenever I think of switching my laptop I
find a new Kmail update and another nice new feature.