Re: [LUG] Syntax problems Java Install

On Tuesday 04 Nov 2003 6:06 pm, richard fuller wrote:
> Hello
> I'm trying to get RedHat 9 Mozilla to play Java Applets...
> I've downloaded the JRE and am attempting to get it to live with
> Mozilla....
> I've looked on the internet and have come across the following:-
>
> [root@xxxxxxxxx .mozilla]# ln -s
> /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> /home/username/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

That's trying to create a symbolic link from the plugin to your username
directories. Problems:
1. Note the /home/username part - this should NOT be run as ROOT! This is a
command to run as the user specified in the command.
2. Is it necessary? Most home directory links like this are made by the
application. If Mozilla doesn't find the plugin or if it doesn't work, then
try the link.
3. The plugin must be installed in the location specified or the link is
worthless - this answers your second query:
4. If you are already in /home/user/.mozilla you don't need to specify it in
the command, just use ./plugins/lib....

> I know it is important to get it completely right but one site says
> there is a trailing *.* after the ----oji.so  Is that after both oji.so

Whenever you create symbolic links, the command is:
ln -s <realfile> <link>
So the first part of the link is best created using the auto-completion in the
normal shell using TAB. Type the first couple of letters and hit tab (on RH,
it's often tab twice)  and RH will complete the filename or offer a list if
it wasn't unique. This way you KNOW you've got the real file. You don't add
anything onto the end of the filename, once you have a unique file, leave it.

> ? Also is there a "space" after oji.so/home/

The space separates the name of the realfile from the name of the link.

> I keep trying different forms and am worried I may be compounding error
> after error

$ cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
$ ls -l

If any of the links are flashing red, you've messed up. Otherwise, it's fine.

The trailing *.* means that some installations will have different filenames
or endings and you should use the one installed.

--

Neil Williams