[LUG] Steel

The US unwisely and not sensibly applied a tarrif to imports of steel to
protect their domestic steel industry, which presumably supports the
President unlike their users of steel, but that's another matter.

Following a verdict at WTO, the EU is now applying tarrifs to a range of
US goods.

I suggest that encouraging our MEPs and the Commission to apply a high
tarrif barrier on software would be an excellent way of catching American
.gov attention, and that any effect of a reduction purchases of non-Free
software such as Microsoft Office and Windows would not be adverse to our
aims either.

The difference to profit that a large manufacturer of computer hardware
secures by agreeing with MS that they will pre-install Windows on _all_
their computers, rather than those on which the customer asks for it is
not large, and a tarrif based on the advertised list price of an operating
system and Office suite could make a significant differnece to the
willingness of large manufacturers to provide options of OpenOffice on
Windows or of Linux, to the immediate and long-term beneift of their
customers in the UK and EU.

--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/