Re: [LUG] Exeter toppe for WiFi

On Sunday 16 Nov 2003 11:47 pm, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
> Adrian Midgley wrote:
> >Exeter has been dubbed Britain's Wi-Fi Capital by Intel. The chip giant
> >came to choose the county town of Devon because it has more hotspots than
> >any other place in the country.
> >
> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/69/33962.html
>
> Hey, make sure you get your facts right!  It's actually top because it
> has the most Wi-Fi hotspots per head of population, which is slightly
> different.
>
> Anybody got any idea how many of them are free and how many are
> commercial?  I'd like to set up a WiFi hotspot but I'm sharing a
> broadband connection and they're scared of the consquences (ignorant
> windoze lusers, see). :-(
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon

I think that most of the hotspots will be commercial.
Securing the hotspot is pretty straight forward. The way we do it is that all
authentication is handled by radius servers, if the user isn't correctly
authenticated then the only thing that isn't firewalled out is http and
https, and both of these redirect all port 80 & 443 traffic to our sign on
page.

Be careful sharing bandwidth on an ADSL line. A lot of the ISP's don't allow
it and will shut down your connection if they find out.

Regards,
Jon L