Re: [LUG] external modem trouble!

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 09:08, Lee Quick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just treated myself to an external (hardware) based modem to replace my
> internal HSF, intel chipset MD566x and it dont work! tried Suse 8.2 no dice
> and mandrake 9.2 (detected but strange behaviour).
> went to windows XP opened a hyperterminal and threw a few AT commands at it
> and it works.
>
> in suse modprobe fails on boot with char major-212?
> this is quite annoying because i was under the impression that all REAL
> external serial modems worked more or less faultless in linux any
> help/thoughts would be useful.
>
> cheers.
>
> lee.

Sigh never ever buy an emachine! even if the deal is really tempting!
the char major 212 is a smartlink softmodem module why suse was trying to do
this i will never know, the emachine pheonix bios has to be the worst ever!
no manual control of any IRQ's the problem was my tv card was conflicting
with my only serial port! despite it being the only pci card left in the
machine,when the sticker on the front of the pc says designed for windowsXP
they were not joking what an absolute pile of S**T!

cheers

lee(slightly frazzled)