Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations please

On Friday 28 November 2003 08:02, James Wonnacott wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good laptop?
> I want to be able to dual boot into Linux and XP

I have no idea on the network boot, sorry, but I can tell you that we are
very happy with a pair of IBM Thinkpad R40e and that until I removed Win2k
from my Dell Latitude (C800) it was very satisfactory and both times I
booted WIndows it ran.

I use SuSE and have 8.2 and 9.0 on them, respectively.

A question to ask is ACPI and APM.
Those IBM machiens don't do APM, and we are anticipating a big improvement
in power management when the 2.6 kernel has ACPI all sorted out.

The Dell doesn't do (much of) ACPI and therefore runs APM and does that
excellently.

I think either will be OK, but as with many things, we seem to be in the
process of changing from one system to the other, and until we do, there
will be less than perfection.

--
Dr Adrian Midgley          I use Free software because it is better
http://www.defoam.net/    They carefully didn't ask.