Re: [LUG]: [ECDL] Re: easing the task

It seems reasonable to assume that on Thursday 02 October 2003 20:55,
peter.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Two (or maybe three) possibilities here. The problem is that so many
> people have pirate copies of MS Office.

The knowledge is seeping in that those are dangerous to have...

MS are working hard to conivnce people that in order to avoid being caught
with unlicencesed software, such people should either hand over a couple
of hundred pounds, or replace their buckshee Office with something that
doesn't need counting the licences for...

Getting across the idea that one of these is a better idea as well as £x00
cheaper is a task...

> We need to get to people before
> they get set in their ways. One plus would be for new training
> providers/businesses who will be far more worried about licensing issues
> than individuals.
Just so
> Linux ECDL would offer a very cost effective
> option.The third area (although we might not want to push it) is that
> all the OpenOffice modules would probably work just as well in a Windows
> environment.
and just so.

> > Yes.
> > The data-handling aspects of it are interesting - ODBC and so on.
>
> I think that the database syllabus for ECDL (and all the other quals I
> have seen) seems to be totally linked to the Access concept of database.
> I have been involved in teaching CLAIT/NewCLAIT on Windows and the whole
> thing seems to be approached wrong. (Sorry, it's a bit of a soap box as
> I have been working with relational databases for the past 20 years)

OOo has a somewhat similar look to parts of it.

--
From the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/