Re: [LUG] Debian 3.0r1 on Alpha AXP - where now?

On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 5:55 pm, Alasdair Cunningham-Smith wrote:
> OK - this is my first ever Linux install.

Why Debian? Most people here (even those who promote Debian) wouldn't usually
advise using Debian as your first-ever install - there are other distros out
there which will take you through all these problems interactively and get
you straight into X.

> I got given an old Digital AlphaServer 1000A 5/400. This has a 400MHz
> RISC CPU, 256MB ECC RAM and a single 2GB SCSI disk in a built-in 7 disk
> hot-swap enclosure.
> Graphics is a Number 9 Motion 331 (Trio 64V+ I think).

You'll have to know a lot more about it to get it to work with manual
configuration.

> *	installed SAMBA and XFree86 on top of the basic profile

Installed but not configured.

> *	How do I change from DHCP to Static IP - I know it's just a text
> file somewhere - but what and where?

/etc/network/interfaces
sample:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
# installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.4
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.7

(Don't reboot, just restart the network daemon by looking at ls /etc/rc5.d/
and using # /etc/rc5.d/Swhatever restart

> *	What is the recommended text editor? I've had a go with emacs,
> but it's terribly arcane for a Windows user.

Without X, any console text editor is going to feel strange, it's not as if
MS-DOS EDIT was any better!

Emacs has many advocates, so does VI - no-one pretends that you don't need to
get used to the keystrokes. If you can use Emacs, stick with it. If you want
to use vi, forget everything you learnt of Emacs and start again with vi!
Personally, I got used to vi and never did learn emacs.

> *	Where is the SAMBA config file?

I don't have Samba installed on my Debian boxes, but on other distros it's
/etc/samba/smb.conf

> *	Why doesn't the XWindows work. I get "Starting the Gnome Display

Because it's awating configuration.

You'll need to be root to do much, but typing xf then tab and tab again should
give you a) a beep and b) a list of programs, some of which will be xf86
config routines. Pick one - but be prepared to answer some very involved
questions on sync rates, refresh rates and card specifics.

> Any help much appreciated - but its only an experiment, so don't bust a
> gut ;-)

Seriously, I'd recommend Mandrake, RedHat or Slackware.

--

Neil Williams