Re: [LUG] Redhat 9 Network - what do people think?

On Saturday 25 Oct 2003 6:11 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
> But what I don't understand is that if I run a really archaic version of
> up2date, on my Redhat 7mumble box, the error messages are comprehensible
> and appropriate, and there is even an anonymous registraion option
> (which gives a nice readable message about this not being implemented
> any more<grr>).
>
> Okay I can understand Redhat's desire to gather customer data, and
> charge for enhancement updates, but they seem to be making it harder
> just to download security critical patches (and it never was as easy or
> as reliable as Debian, or even MS Windows 98).
>
> Where is the value add of a big brand like Dell, and Redhat? So far it

This is Dell all over - "we support our hardware only as far as we provide the
software updates, beyond that, you're fried." I had a nice new Dell box that
(3 months before) was being sold with WinME. By the time the client agreed to
purchase, ME was history and XP was the only choice, apart from Win2000. It
was the same hardware, I had a genuine ME CD for the machine so I went ahead.
Dell had removed all WinME support from the rescueCD, the updateCD, the
websites, the lot. Only XP drivers were provided and you can't install XP
drivers on ME. I had to duplicate the network port, the I/O ports, use two
external modems when one would have sufficed and generally make a lot of
changes because Dell wouldn't provide back copies of the drivers that they
had been providing a little earlier. ("We don't support ME anymore". Yes, but
you did only a few months ago, wouldn't it be possible to help me out? "No.")

> seems to be limited to an Errata CD with kernel updates for the specific
> hardware in this DELL range (a CD that has ample space for extra

Probably not as much as that, just the updates that Dell want you to use.

> I'm sure once I finally get up2date working, I'll be suitably impressed,
> but are they just making it too hard?

Yes, to charge you for more support.

--

Neil Williams