Re: [LUG] Upgrades

Neil Winchurst wrote:
Hi All,

I have used Linux for some two years now. One of the things that annoys
me is that sometimes I am forced to upgrade my version (Mandrake)
because new (and improved??) versions of some of the programs that I use
are available for the latest version of Mandrake only.

I am in that situation now. I use Mandrake 9.0, and I would like to
upgrade my copy of Rekall database. There is a new, and apparently much
better version now out but only for Mandrake 9.1.

Up to now I have always done a complete new installation of the new
Mandrake version every time. (Obviously I have copied certain files
across via my zip drive.)

I have never tried to simply upgrade to the new version as I have always
been to worried that I might finish up with a completely messed up hard
drive. (I see that version 9.2 is just out now).

Have any lug members any experience of upgrading to a new version with
Mandrake? And would the jump from 9.0 to 9.2 be dangerous? Any advice
gladly received.

TIA

Neil

These are the reasons I went to debian.....

Upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2 should go without any problems, and if the installer has been properly tested it should warn you prior to doing anything that might have a major impact...

I have used RedHat for many years, and simply used to upgrade the installation each time when the Install CD found a prior installation...

I would be VERY surprised if you ran in to any issues.. but as usual, take a backup 1st eh ;-)

HTH

Neil